Registering on Discord
Registration opens at 9am on 13 October -- you’re welcome to register any time from then!
If you haven't joined our Discord server before, click on this Discord invitation link: https://discord.gg/VJcC58H7 .
Register by typing
!register BARCODEin reply to the direct message our registration bot will have sent you. Replace the word
BARCODEwith the barcode from your ticket.
If you have joined our Discord server before, find the registration bot in your direct messages, or type the
!register BARCODEcommand in any channel on the server.
This will assign you the attendee role and allow you to see all the Discord channels. Once you can see the conference channels, you are registered!
Talks on Discord
- Each talk has its own channel in the PyConZA Talks category.
- When a talk is about to start, open the appropriate channel.
- Click on the YouTube link pinned in the channel to open the live stream of the talk.
- Ask questions by typing !question ... in the channel and our friendly bot will forward the question to the speaker via a circuitous route.
A tour of the PyConZA Discord
Discord is divided into groups of channels (categories) as follows:
- The #welcome and #registration-desk registration channels are here.
- Once you've registered on Discord you can safely mute or ignore these for the rest of the conference.
- These are the more formal conference channels.
- #announcements -- important announcements, such as the links to the talks for the day, will be made here.
- #helpdesk -- if something is not working, this is where to ask for assistance.
Each talk will have its own discussion channel in this category & a bot for submitting questions to the speaker.
This year we're using YouTube to stream the talks to participants, so these Discord channels will fulfill the same role as the BigBlueButton chat window from last year.
- These channels are the hallway track! They're ours to use as attendees and speakers to talk amongst ourselves.
- We've created a few channels to use to start with, but if you would like another channel here, ask at the #helpdesk and we'll make one.
Organizers & Speakers
- These are coordination areas for organizers and speakers and are invisible to most attendees.